Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Zoe Strauss

PHOTOGRAPHED FOR PRIMER MAGAZINE

For photographer Zoe Strauss, knowing Philly and loving Philly are the same thing.

Q&A by Molly Eichel for Primer Magazine


Q: What makes Philly so great?


A: There are a billion different things. It's a very comfortable city, its a livable city.It's rich in cultural history, which you canb see in your day-to-day life.

Q: Your portraits are so candid, catching. Do you think you could be doing the same kind of work in a different city?

A: It's a combination of both - it's my cative interest and its the people in the city. In terms of the (photography that's) made in Philadelphia, I'm pretty familiar with the neighborhoods or I've lived in the neighborhoods where I make most of the portraits.

Q: Have you ever though of relocating?

A: In the last year or so I've traveled a lot, but I have no interest in relocating. As a matter of fact, I have an active interest in staying.

Q: What's a must-see or must-do for an artist just starting out in Philly?

A: The number one thing is, go to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, that's at the top of the list. It has a beautiful, spectacular collection and building. It's integral to the fabric of the city. There's a definite reason Rocky chose to run up those steps. Second, I would say just to get to know where you live. Don't isolate yourself, there's amazing things, no matter where you are.

No comments: