Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Brian McTear


PHOTOGRAPHED FOR PRIMER MAGAZINE

Brian McTear of Bitter, Bitter Weeks is a producer, Songwriter - Oh, and the guy in the middle of everything that goes on in Philly Rock.

Q&A by M.J. Fine for Primer Magazine


Q: What makes the city's music scene so fertile?



A: Philadelphia is blessed with cheap living and the proximity to many places on the East Coast. Those two reasons alone make it an ideal place for musicians, particularly ones who hope to tour. The bands that are here can stay at it longer and as a result, their music is better, they make more friends with time and the whole thing just keeps growing.
Q: How has the scene evolved from when you started out?

A: There weren't as many national/international artists when I first moved here in 1996. I think it didn't occur to many people that they could be more than a popular local band. ... Now I feel like every time I go see a show, there's someone on the bill I've never heard of and they are great.
Q: Who do you think is inexplicably overlooked?

A: East Hundred, but I think that will change very soon. For some reason this band has sounded and looked like famous icons (to me, at least) for years now. I was really excited to work with them late in the spring and think people will really like what they did.
Q: What's the best thing about making music here:

A: The people are honest, hardworking and all around great. There's no generic Philadelphia indie sound. Everyone wants to make something new, to be themselves.


No comments: